These banana muffins are also rice free ( for those on a rotation diet) and soy free. I found this recipe in Lisa Lewis's book Special Diets for for Special Kids. The texture was very smooth and moist. They were a lighter color than I'm used to but I don't think I would have wanted to cook them any longer for fear of them drying out, but I will experiment with that at a later time. At first I thought they were a little bit sticky when I bit into them but after I let them sit about 15 more minutes they were fine. They are oh so yummy!

Banana Muffins
(yield 12 muffins)

Ingredients:
1 banana mashed
2 eggs
1/4 cup oil (I used olive oil but use your preferred oil)
1/3 cup milk substitute or water
1/2 cup quinoa flour (I didn't have quinoa flour so I used brown rice flour instead)
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/2 cup potato starch flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
1/4 cup raisins or nuts (optional - I found that an individual serving size box is approximately 1/4 cup)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and oil your muffin tin. I used ghee but you could use cocoa butter or any liquid oil. Keep in mind that the fats in butters tend to make the edges that touch the pan darker than if you just used oil or a spray oil. (I don't use spray oils because most of them have soy in them and we are sensitive to soy.)

As with all quick bread recipes you mix the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in a different bowl. Make a well in middle of the dry ingredients and add the liquid. Mix just until moistened. The less you stir, the better your bread consistency will be. Too much stirring will cause tunnels and holes in your bread.

Fill muffin tins about 1/2 full and bake about 15 minutes. If you insert a toothpick into the middle of a muffin there should be no wet batter on the toothpick. Take out of oven and let sit for 5 minutes. Remove muffins from muffin tin and enjoy warm or let cool. These will freeze well and can be sent to school for special "unplanned" events. Of course they are good for snacks or lunch box treats too!
0 Responses

Post a Comment