Today I was making meals for my son for school. Taco meat, meatloaf, and pork BBQ - all of which I will share the recipes for at a later time. I was pretty impressed with the flavor of the meatloaf given that the only seasonings were garlic, onion, and worcesershire sauce. My father-in-law (practically!) tasted a bite of it and was surprised when I told him it was ground turkey instead of ground beef. A friend of mine shared this recipe with me. This recipe will make 3 loaves of meatloaf (great for freezing!) but if you half it, beware that you will end up with one very large meatloaf unless you like to form it ON a pan instead of IN the loaf pan.

Meatloaf
(approximately 15 - 8oz servings)

Ingredients:
4 cups cooked rice (any rice you prefer)
4 lbs raw ground meat (beef or turkey)
3 raw eggs
1-2 cups cubed onion (depending on preference)
6 cloves minced garlic
4 Tbs worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrin's is gluten-free)
Ketchup

Directions:
Combine all ingredients, except ketchup, into a large bowl and mix until all ingredients are equally blended. Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty, but take off your rings. Place the meat mixture into 3 slightly greased bread loaf pans. (I prefer ghee.) I recommend putting the full loaf pans on a flat cookie sheet to catch any possible grease overflow during baking. Cook at 375 degrees for about an hour or until core temp is 165 degrees. Then drain the grease and lightly layer the loaf with ketchup and put back in the oven for another 10 minutes. I wanted my loaves to look darker so I actually flipped it out upside down onto a shallow cookie sheet and coated the "bottom" of the loaf with ketchup. Some people prefer a sauce of ketchup and brown sugar. I saw someone who pressed the brown sugar into the bottom of the pan and put ketchup on top of that followed by the meat mixture. Meatloaf allows so many variations like adding salsa, green peppers, or carrots - make it your own!

I kept two portions for my son - one for this week and one for a later week. What you see is what was left!
Posted by Picasa
Labels: , edit post
0 Responses

Post a Comment