This is one of my favorites to make. I used to buy Ian's chicken nuggets which were perfectly acceptable and my son liked them but I hated paying $6-$7 for them. I could usually break one box into 2 meals but I had heard it was super easy to make your own so I finally gave it a shot. I haven't perfected it yet but it's pretty good.

Ingredients
1 cup Nutty Rice cereal (or any of your favorite cereals)
1 pack Hol-Grain rice crackersd (or any of your favorite GFCF crackers)
1 cup mashed potato flakes
1 cup crushed potato chips or corn flake crumbs for extra crunch (optional)
spice to your liking with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika
oil for frying
eggs
chicken

Cut your chicken into bite-sized pieces. I usually stock up on chicken tenderloins because it's often sold at the same price as the boneless skinless chicken breasts and it is less time consuming to cut. It's also great if you want to make chicken fingers because it's already cut for you!  Add about 1/2" of oil to a skillet and heat on medium high. I don't recommend olive oil as it has a tendency to smoke at high heat and burns easily. I have used it in a pinch or sometimes I mix olive oil and canola oil, but generally I use canola. I think peanut oil would also be good but I haven't tried that yet. While the oil is heating mix 2 eggs in a bowl. I prefer to idp my chicken in just egg, but experiment by adding a tablespoon or less of milk or water to the eggs. Crush remaining dry ingredients together in a food processor or in a Ziploc bag. Crush it to the consistency of your liking. It doesn't have to be fine and powdery unless you want it that way. I love making these because it is so forgiving in what you add to the breading. You can even try other herbs and spices that you may like such as rosemary and thyme or for an Indian flavor you could try curry powder and cumin, or for a Mexican flavor try chili powder or taco seasoning mix - so many choices to make! I was thinking about trying to marinate the meat in a sauce of some kind in advance but haven't tried that yet.


You will want to coat your chicken in the eggs and then into the breading and then to the skillet. Some people like to coat their chicken in a bag while others like to use a plate or bowl. I never feel like the chicken is fully covered when using a bag and I end up having to recoat it with my fingers anyway so I don't often use a bag system. Set up your workstation to your liking.


By the time you have all the other prep work complete (don't forget your tongs) your oil should be ready. You can check the temp with a thermometer (about 350 is good) or just take your chances. Keep an eye on your oil during prep time to make sure that it isn't burning. Often you will see the oil start swirling around itself which is a good indicator too. Dip your chicken into the egg, and then coat with breading, and place the nuggets or tenders in the hot oil (please don't burn yourself - use the tongs and be careful). Heat for about 2-3 minutes and flip when golden brown. Heat other side for about 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Carefully remove the nuggets from the oil with the tongs and place on a plate lined with paper towels. I usually make a whole package of tenderloins at once because they can easily be frozen and reheated. Store in single serving sized bags or all in one bag if you prefer. Date and label the bag. Do not freeze until cooled to prevent ice crystals from forming from the steam of the hot chicken.


I had a little left over breading and was planning to make pork chops for dinner so I tried to bread them as well...not the healthiest but it could still be yummy. These pork chops were about 3/4"-1" thick so I was a little worried that it wouldn't cook all the way through and if I allowed it to cook all the way through they would burn. I was right. This would work better for smaller 1/2" thick chops. So, as not to waste them, I put them in the oven and baked them. The ones that were strictly baked and not fried, then baked, tasted better and the breading was less likely to fall off or stick to the pan when turning over during cooking.
Labels: , edit post
1 Response
  1. Krystale Says:

    Oh my! Thanks for sharing this! My son (diagnosed with ADHD and PDD-NOS) is so picky and nuggets are just about the only thing he'll eat. We are in the process of switching over to all natural/organic foods...but I am quickly learning that I can barely afford it. So, this is going to be great to try!! Thank you!


Post a Comment